How can you invigorate your everyday displays and signage? And why should you? Isn’t “merchandising” just for retail establishments?
There’s a lot of science and psychology in the retail merchandising world that can actually benefit your library. Trying it doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. In this webinar, Kathy Dempsey will explain what merchandising is and will reveal strategies to help you do it quickly and effectively. Through pro tips and lots of photographic examples, you will:
- Learn the difference between creating displays and doing merchandising.
- Understand how the magic of merchandising can increase library usage and circulation.
- Realize what turns people off and keeps them from entering your building.
- Discover how to make simple, yet effective, improvements in your physical spaces.
- View photos of great (and not-so-great) merchandising from libraries around the world.
- Realize how merchandising, signage, and displays affect the user experiene (UX).
Please note that this session is not geared toward ideas about what to display. Instead, it’s about the strategies behind good displays, signage, and promotion. It’s about upholding your brand and improving customers’ usage of, and perspectives of, the library via the science of merchandising.
Original broadcast April 26, 2016
Biography ~ Kathy Dempsey
Marketing Maven Kathy Dempsey is a consultant and trainer through her business, Libraries Are Essential (www.LibrariesAreEssential.com), and author of the book The Accidental Library Marketer . She’s given presentations across the U.S. and Canada. Her work is dedicated to helping librarians and information professionals promote their value and expertise in order to retain respect and funding. Kathy has been the Editor of the Marketing Library Services newsletter for 22 years and was formerly Editor-in-Chief of Computers in Libraries magazine. She also blogs at The ‘M’ Word, and is an active member of the New Jersey Library Association.