Your webinar will be held on January 5, 2021, 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm ET.
Within 7 days, the recording of this session will be available in our On-Demand section.
Web 1.0 gave us the Internet. Web 2.0 gave us mobile and social connectivity. The next phase (Web 3.0?) is giving us the Metaverse, a 3D digital copy of our physical world where we can connect and interact with others inside virtual spaces while removing time and place constraints. The Metaverse was coined by the writer Neal Stephenson in his 1992 novel “Snow Crash” and the concept is becoming more real and not considered science fiction anymore. In this webinar:
– Understand what the Metaverse is and find out why we should care about it,
– Learn how extended reality (XR) technologies work and are helping create the Metaverse,
– Discover how the Metaverse can change things ranging from online gaming and fashion to education and finance,
– Highlight X3D and other standards that will play a role in building and traversing the Metaverse, and
– Experience the potential of virtual/augmented reality meeting platforms that enables people to collaborate in a 3D virtual environment from anywhere on earth.
Presenter: Chad Mairn is an Information Services Librarian, Assistant Professor, and manages the Innovation Lab at St. Petersburg College. While an undergraduate studying Humanities at the University of South Florida (USF), Chad was awarded a Library of Congress Fellowship archiving Leonard Bernstein’s personal papers. During his Library and Information Science (LIS) graduate work, also at USF, Chad became a technology liaison between the Bill Gates Learning Foundation and Florida public libraries.